- This event has passed.
An Introduction to Critical Appraisal: Systematic Reviews
9th June @ 10:00 am - 12:30 pm
To register for this event, please visit EventBrite: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/an-introduction-to-critical-appraisal-systematic-reviews-tickets-147837482891
To provide attendees with an introduction to the importance of critical appraisal and the opportunity to take part in a facilitated critical appraisal of a systematic review.
By the end of this session you will be able to:
- Explain why critical appraisal is important.
- Describe how critical appraisal fits in to the cycle of evidence-based practice.
- List the key elements of a systematic review.
- Recognise the presence (and absence) of these elements in a systematic review.
- Use critical appraisal to evaluate a systematic review.
- Have increased confidence in reading and interpreting research evidence, to use in decision making.
- Importance of critical appraisal
- Evidence-Based Practice Cycle and Hierarchy of Evidence
- Types of study design
- Key elements of a good systematic review
- Focused question
- Search strategy
- Quality assessment
- Appropriate statistical analyses
- Some (very basic) statistics
- Small group appraisal of a paper using a checklist
- Full-group discussion